Aren’t weekends just the best?! I got to sleep in until 9 o’clock this morning. It’s awesome to think that in about 2 weeks, I will be able to do that almost any morning I want! Oh, sweet summer time…
I’m going to back up to yesterday. Yesterday morning I was so excited to attempt my first breakfast with chia seeds!! I decided to follow Jenna’s instructions for Chia oatmeal. So the night before, I combined the following:
- 1/2 cup oatbran
- 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- dash of salt and cinnamon
- 1/2 sliced banana
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
I mixed it all up my oatmeal bowl and put in the refrigerator overnight. The next morning, I added 1/2 cup water and cooked it for 2 minutes in the microwave. Then I stirred it again real good and topped it with a tbsp of Naturally More Peanut Butter.
You can just see all the creaminess up in there!! This was SO GOOD. My new love = Chia Seeds. (never fear, PB, you’re still number one.)
Here are just some of the great health benefits of Chia Seeds:
- the BEST source of omega-3 and omega-6. They even contain more than salmon!
- rich in antioxidants
- the seeds form a gel, that once in the stomach creates a physical barrier between carbohydrates and the digestive enzymes that break them down, thus slowing the conversion of carbohydrates into sugar.
- ability to absorb more than 12 times its weight in water, keep our bodies hydrated
- Known as the running food, its use as a high energy endurance food has been recorded as far back as the ancient Aztecs
- a rich source of calcium, B vitamins, iron, fiber, and protein
- weight control: keeping you feeling full for a long period of time
- lowers the risk of heart disease, blurred vision, and numbness.
- contains boron, which is needed for bones
Great stuff, huh?
Ok, now I have another bowl of deliciousness to show you all! This one is from this morning, and it included these two special items:
Which turned into this creation:
Strawberry Banana White Choco Crunch
This combo was actually made on the stove-top. I usually make mine in the microwave because I don’t have much time in the morning before school. But this morning, I decided to take my time and perfect this bowl!
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oatmeal
- 1 cup water
- dash of salt
- 1/4 mashed banana
After cooking on the stove-top, I mixed in:
- tbsp flax
- splash of egg beaters (for a protein boost)
- 1/4 sliced banana
- 3 big sliced strawberries
- a scoop of White Chocolate Wonderful
- sprinkle of Bear Naked vanilla almond crunch granola
Now, I’m off to do my morning run! Enjoy your Saturday everyone!
Be sure to check out Fitnessista’s cool give-away!